Bremhill is a village and civil parish in Wiltshire, England. The village is about 1.6 miles (2.6 km) northwest of Calne and 4 miles (6.4 km) east of Chippenham. The name originates from ‘Bramble hill’. Bremhill civil parish is a rural area which stretches northeast some 5 miles (8 km) from the eastern boundary of the Chippenham built-up area. It includes the hamlets of Avon, Bremhill Wick, Charlcutt, East Tytherton, Low Bridge, Foxham, Spirthill, Stanley, Tytherton Lucas and West End, and part of the hamlet of Ratford.
The River Avon forms part of the western boundary of the parish, where it is joined by the Marden which crosses the parish from the south. The parish has many smaller tributaries of the Avon, including Pudding Brook, which joins the Marden south of Tytherton Lucas; the Cade Burna, which gives its name to Cadenham Manor; and the Cat Brook.
Ãthelstan gave land at Bremhill to Malmesbury Abbey c. 935. At the time of the 1086 Domesday Book, a large population of 79 households was recorded
Stanley Abbey moved to a site 2 miles (3.2 km) southwest of Bremhill in 1154 and was dissolved in 1536. Stanley is also the site of an early fulling mill, recorded in 1189.
The pathway known since the 15th century as Maud Heath’s Causeway connects Bremhill with Langley Burrell, near Chippenham.
Bremhill Manor is a farmhouse from c. 1820 with a late medieval barn.
The Wilts & Berks Canal, opened in full in 1810, passed through the parish from southwest to northeast, with a junction near Stanley for its branch to Calne, which followed the Marden valley. Built largely to handle coal from the Somerset Coalfield, the canal saw a decline in traffic in the second half of the century and had fallen into disuse by the end of the century. Partial collapse of the Stanley Aqueduct over the Marden made the canal unusable and it was formally abandoned in 1914.
In 1863 a railway, the Chippenham and Calne branch line, crossed the parish, also following the Marden valley, with an intermediate stop at Stanley Bridge Halt. The line was busy in the first half of the 20th century with goods to and from the Harris pork processing factory at Calne, and later with RAF personnel. Usage declined in the 1960s and the line was closed in 1965.